Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Be Free

Every day has been filled with stories, fulfilling work, and hilarious times in the village.  As for work, we had our first Muzoka HIV/AIDS Support Group meeting on Friday.  I was exhausted from being at the clinic all day, but when the 8 members of a previously formed support group (who dissolved due to disorganized leadership) sat with me under a tree to tell me their stories and their ideas for Income Generating Projects, I felt immediately re-energized that day.  There were at least 3 times as many group members in the previous group, so as our weekly meetings continue, we expect to get many more to re-join.  However, having 8 committed members show up to a first meeting was a huge success.  These individuals were so comfortable speaking about their status, personal and community reactions to their status (including both discrimination and acceptance), and their frustration with the long distances they have to travel in order to get their ARVs.  ARVs may be "free" in Zambia, but transport is expensive and time-consuming.  We discussed collective income generating projects, and decided we would begin a community garden for the members to both eat nutritious vegetables, and sell these vegetables in the market.  Next week we will choose a site for the garden, and elect members to various positions for the group.  Our first meeting truly inspired me, and each group member was so ready to begin our project.  We also would like to form dramas to sensitize the community on HIV/AIDS and safer sexual practices.  The group members, who are all over 40 years old, told me it would not be a problem to show up next week with skit ideas.  They were excited and began discussing costumes and drums to accompany the skits.  I hope to eventually combine this support group and my Anti-AIDS club at the school in our community dramas, culminating in a Village Health Day carnival.  I have also had quite a few villagers come to me to learn English.  They sit on my veranda and bring schoolbooks to read together.  Some are kids, some adults, some young adults who want to find jobs.  I don't really find it to be "work," I just enjoy teaching. 

I needed some alone time on Sunday, so I decided to go on a bike ride in the opposite direction of the route to the clinic.  I found gorgeous rolling hills (which gave my legs a good burn) and a peaceful, quiet path to ride when I need to get away.  I blasted my ipod as I admired the beautiful green untouched hills.  In a few months the green will begin turning brown as the Earth dries and makes Zambia look more like a savannah. 

My friends in the village are beginning to come to me as their friend, not just as a foreigner.  They tell me about their family problems, their struggles.  They laugh with me as they ask me why I am a 23 year old single women living alone without children (although the only "alone" time I have is at night when I get to read under my mosquito net).  They also laugh as I try my hardest to speak Tonga (and I laugh at my attempts as well).  I painted the words "Be Free!" on the outside of my hut, and they have really understood that my door is open.  This village is becoming my home, and I fall in love with it more and more every day.  It is challenging, exhausting, and I miss friends and family back home.  I miss people showing up to meetings on time, I miss abundant fruits and vegetables that I can buy at the grocery store, instead of waiting to see what is available during the season at the market.  I miss the ease of American transport.  But I am grateful, and I try to soak my spirit in the beauty of life in rural Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment