Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Safe and Staying Positive

I do not want anyone from back home to get too scared, but a few nights ago the house where I was staying with another Peace Corps Response volunteer while waiting for my hut to be finished was robbed.  I heard noises in the living room around one in the morning, but thought they were just my roommate in the bathroom.  Turns out, our house had been broken into.  Luckily it was only my roommate's computer and nothing else.  We were not hurt, and although the computer was a devastating loss (it had many personal files and photos on it), we realized that it may have deterred the robbers from entering our bedrooms.  Peace Corps responded immediately, and we spent the next day at the police station.  I am now back at the Peace Corps house, waiting for my new hut to be finished.  I am set to go to my village on Friday to ensure everything is finished, and then move in on Monday.  My new home, in addition to the packages I just received from family and friends, couldn't come at a better time.

Although there have been some intense happenings thus far in Zambia, I am remaining positive and happy.  I have also received some inspiring e-mails from teachers and mentors of mine recently, which have also brightened my days.  Sending peace and love back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment